“The right book can stir a child’s empathy better than any lesson ever could… And the right book matched with the right child can be the gateway to opening his heart to humanity.”
– Dr. Michele Borba
Sometimes we feel SO busy that we find we haven’t got time to read! Not only is reading stories at bedtime with your children a wonderful way to support their literacy work from school, bit it also develops a true love of reading and gives you quality time together.
Here are some books that our well-being team highly recommend that support mindful reading and promote a sense of emotional well-being.
A quick how to guide for reading mindfully together:
– Choose a book together
– Ask your child why they want to read the book
– Be as present as possible (remove distractions like your phone, laptop)
– Really listen if your child is reading and allow questions if you are reading
– Study illustrations and discuss characters’ emotions to help build language and for children to express their own.
– ENJOY this time! Before you begin say to yourself, “This is going to be the best part of my day so far.”