English Curriculum (Phonics)
Phonics at Whitehouse Primary School
“The Foundations of Reading, Spelling and Writing for Every Child”
Read Write Inc and Phonics
To get children at Whitehouse Primary School off to a flying start with their literacy we adopt the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme. Read Write Inc. is a whole-school literacy programme designed and developed Ruth Miskin, one of the country’s leading authorities of teaching children to read. The programme aims to create fluent readers, willing writers and confident speakers.
By adopting the RWI programme our aim will be to ensure all children learn to read effortlessly allowing them to then put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It will also allow them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
As they are in small groups, children participate fully in every session. They are able to maintain high levels of concentration and they do not miss key elements of the teaching.
Children work together as partners. They take turns to teach and praise each other. They are motivated by praise from their teachers and teaching assistants.
Sessions never drag. The lively pace keeps every child fully engaged and on task.
Every instructor has been trained in Read Write Inc. methods. They know the purpose of each activity, and how it leads into the next.
Instructors, too, become passionate about their teaching as they see the children enjoying the progress they are making
How and what do children learn when using Read Write Inc?
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- learn to build sentences orally using adventurous vocabulary
- start to write simple sentences and develop to more complex ones
- compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
Children are assessed so they work with children at the same level. This allows them to take a full part in all lessons. They work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking to each other.