In This Section
Year 2 Remote Learning Zone
At Whitehouse Primary, we are committed to ensuring that, irrespective of lockdown or self-isolation, our children can continue to achieve and enjoy their learning.
This amazing website has lots of activities and support for parents to help their children with their learning.
Online Maths Resources:
TT Rockstars: Practise your timestables and mental division skills.
Numbots: Have fun with your number skills.
Hit the Button: Practise your division and number bonds facts against the clock.
Coin Cruncher: Can you make different amounts of money using this fun game on the Natwest website?
Off-Screen Maths Ideas:
- Practise telling the time to the nearest five minutes.
- Teach someone in your family your rolling numbers – can you create your own rhyme for your rolling numbers? Can you video yourself doing your rolling numbers?
- Practise making amounts of money using coins – how many ways can you make 50p? £1? £5?
Online Reading Resources:
Free online reading books through the Oxford Owls website (see link above)
- Phonics Play: Practise your phonics skills using this website.
- Storyline Online
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Open Library
- Amazon’s Free Kids eBooks
- Barnes & Noble Free Nook Books For Kids
- Mrs. P’s Magic Library
Reading questions Questions to ask your child when sharing stories or books.
Have fun and keep active with some of our favourite websites!
- Write a diary about your day.
- Write a postcard to your teacher.
- Write a story involving different members fo your family, What might happen? Do they have to travel somewhere unusual? Do they have to defeat a monster?
- Write a set of family rules. Could they begin with ‘We always…’ rather than ‘We do not…’
- Write a rap/song/poem about something you are passionate about.
When you are writing, you could plan your idea, draft it, edit and then publish it in your very best presentation. Remember to think about your punctuation and make sure your sentences make sense.
- You could practice your handwriting by copying out your favourite bits from a book or even your funniest joke. Have fun practising your letters using different types of writing resources; e.g. pens, felt tips, pencils, glittery gel pens or in sand.
The spellings that children in Year 2 must know how to spell by the end of the year:
Also make sure you know how to spell all the Year 1 common exception words too.
Use these How to draw..... guides to practise drawing some of your favourite animals. Share them on the class twitter page @y2wps
Home Learning Project
Try some of the activities linked to the Olympics. How might you present your work? Create a book? A poster? A powerpoint? A video?
Additional Learning Resources:
- Free access to online learning platform.
- TTS have created a curriculum-focused independent learning resource with over 40 home learning activities all planned and all prepared. With a combination of independent and collaborative learning activities, the home learning books provide a great opportunity for parents to learn with their children.